Wednesday, June 26, 2013

HOW IMPORTANT AGENTS ARE!
 

     As an Actor, I can't stress how important it is to have or at least try to get a reputable agent.  Back when I was a child or even in my early twenties, I didn't know the first thing about how to even start to look for an agent.  I realized then that two things helped: internet and connections.  I found out about an open call for my first agent about 6 years ago, and even though I thought I did horribly in the audition room while on an appointment, I received notification that my agent wanted to represent me.  I typically like to come out of an audition with little to no hope so I am not as disappointed if I did not get a given part.  Rejection is apart of every Actor's life...including celebrities....YES CELEBRITIES GET REJECTED!  Despite this, it's still significant to have an agent because there will casting calls that are not provided to the public and only to certain agencies.  Not to mention, Casting Directors might only go to agents who have a great reputation for gathering specified talent.  That's how they make their business, as agents get a specified percentage (usually 10-20%) of the talent's earned money.  When I've booked films or commercials through my agent, there was no way that I would have found out anything about them unless my agent advised or recommended me.  From there, you feel blessed and lucky, as good agents are slim pickings. To research reputable agencies within a given city, just Google your city's name along with talent agencies.  See what comes up...  You can also ask around to other professional friends within the business as well as go to the Better Business Bureau to research the history of a particular agency to know whether or not the agency is a legitimate agency or a scam if you are unsure.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Creative Commons License
James Burleson Actor's Blog by James Burleson is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at http://jamesburlesonactor.blogspot.com.